June 18, 2012

Just Desserts and Other Things


When I was raising my family it was important to me that every night we ate dinner together.  Sometimes it didn't happen until late - with a husband that worked more than his share of long hours and three very active children (read: lots and lots of sports) we sometimes didn't eat until 8:00PM, but whether it was pizza or pot roast, we ate together.

Three to four nights a week dinner included dessert - I had a wide range of favorites.  In fact, one of the tests needed to be passed by each of my children's spouses was an appreciation for pineapple upside down cake.  If they didn't like my version of the old standard, they could not fit into our family!

Because I only really cook for one now, I've lost a little of my dessert edge - specifically pie making.  So, I decided that once a month I would make pie.  Since I'm not going to be the one to do the eating, I've invested (thank goodness for the Goodwill!) in small containers to make pie.  Tonight since I had a plethora of lemons, I made lemon meringue pie.  I called Peter, Melissa and Kelsey and told them to expect a delivery.  Maybe I'll keep the fourth one for me!

On a different note; I read how to pick the perfect watermelon.  Forget the thud method (hitting them until you hear a 'thud' noise) and follow these tips:
  1. Look for a dull surface, avoid shinny
  2. Look for a creamy - yellowish spot. The more "yellowish" the better. It means it stayed on the vine for a longer period of time thus sweeter flesh.
  3. Look for uniform size - no bumps or odd shapes
  4. Finally, rap the outside -not to hear the 'thud' sound but rather to feel for hardness - your knuckles should bounce off the surface.
I shopped with BZ yesterday and helped her chose a watermelon based on my new criteria and she called today to tell me I could have a new career - watermelon picking! Pie maker and watermelon picker, sounds like a great retirement career.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle is so right, she has a natural talent, and I am sorry that my perfect watermelon is almost gone (though my bladder will thank me)

    ReplyDelete

Site Manager